In a true New York effort, the Nor’easter has covered my tiny town in snow! With travel bans keeping us appropriately holed in at home, this morning was the perfect time to try out a new recipe and indulge in an unhurried breakfast.
Leading up to the wedding, Andy and I are doing what most engaged couples probably do: recommitting to health and wellness.
As I already workout on a daily basis, for me this means re-focusing on nutrition and finding exciting ways to eat healthy. Prioritizing health without losing flavor!
With an itch for baking, I scoured the internet for ideas and found this recipe by Ambitious Kitchen for lightened up Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
It’s the first time I tried this recipe and was definitely impressed by the flavor – you’d never know that these muffins are made without processed sugars and contain essentially no fat! I also love the extra protein you get from incorporating Greek yogurt – always Chobani in our household!
Check out my adapted version of the recipe below:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Chobani plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon milk (or almond milk)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (add a full cup if you’re a dedicated chocoholic!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. *Make sure to grease the pan well!*
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, oil, egg, milk and yogurt until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins for 5 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.