‘Tis the season for pumpkin spice and nothing is more decadently delicious than a pumpkin roll!
As I’ve mentioned before, this dessert certainly looks more complicated then it truly is. So if you’re looking to break the usual thanksgiving pie cycle, look no further.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 9 oz of cream cheese
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter (3/4 cup), room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions to make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 17 1/2- by 12 1/2-inch jellyroll pan.
- Beat the eggs, granulated sugar, pumpkin and lemon juice until smooth, using an electric mixer.
- Sift together the flour, ginger, salt, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add the sifted ingredients to the egg mixture and blend until fully combined.
- Spread the batter in the jellyroll pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some of the confectioner’ sugar on a large tea towel.
- Invert the cake onto the towel.
- Fold the sides of the towel over the cake.
- Roll the cake up in the towel starting with a 12 1/2-inch side. (In other words, roll it “hamburger style”).
- Cool in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Unroll the cooled cake and spread the mixture on top of the cake.
- Re-roll the cake and refrigerate until ready to be sliced and served.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
- Enjoy with family and friends!
The original recipe has been adapted by the author, resulting in the recipe above.